Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Have you ever been caught in that place where you are torn between feeling compassion and just wanting to tell someone to get over yourself?  I've caught myself in that place a few times recently.  Actually, if I'm honest, I was probably leaning more towards the get over it side.  That spot where you think, if they bring up that subject one more time I'm going to lose it.  Where you are just tired of hearing about all the stupid nonsense.   The relentless rantings, the barely concealed snide comments, the competition, the political postings, and the shaming of others.  Do you want to say to those who are dealing with the same problem month after month, year after year, "Maybe YOU"RE the problem?"

"Oh, that sounded a bit harsh, let me add a 'LOL' to the end."

Hmmmm....Aren't I just all sunshine and roses?  Do you think I'm maybe feeling a little judgmental here?  Maybe a little tired and worn out over some of the foolishness? I know I'm not the only one that sometimes feels this way. And, I do feel  guilt over thinking and feeling this way.

"Not my circus, not my monkeys."

 Have you found yourself a little hardened to someone's problems?  Have you ever looked at someone and thought, you brought this on yourself, now you get to deal with it.  Have you ever just wanted to run so far away from their mess so that it doesn't accidentally spill over on you?  I have thought every one of those thoughts, plus a few more.

"Our hearts of stone become hearts of flesh when we learn where the outcast weeps."

As these thoughts and feelings were swirling around in my crazy, weird little brain, this story of Elijah in the Old Testament came to mind.  Now, the background is that Elijah had just finished being used by God in some of the greatest miraculous events of the Old Testament.  Yet, chapter 19 in I Kings finds Elijah, weary, tired, running for his life, having lost his compassion for the people of Israel,  and feeling destitute and alone in the desert.  In fact in verse 5 he asks God to let him die.

God gives Elijah time to recuperate physically.  Elijah sleeps and is given food.  His body is allowed to rest.

But what I find interesting is what God does next. He gives  Elijah a way to vent his frustrations by asking him, Elijah, what are you doing here?  Here's what Elijah said,

"I've been working my heart out for the God of the Angel Armies.  The people of Israel have  abandoned your covenant, destroyed the places of worship, and murdered your prophets.  I'm the only one left, and now they are trying to murder me."  I Kings 19:10  the Message

God listened to Elijah.  Really listened.  Then, he showed himself to Elijah.  For me, in order to feel like I've been truly heard and understood by someone, I need 2 things.  I need them to listen quietly and I need to face them/see them.

Only after after God heard Elijah did he then explain what was going on.

"God said, Go back the way you came through the desert to Damascas.  When  you get there, anoint Hazael;  make him king over Aram.  Then anoint Jehu; make him king over Israel.  Finally, anoint Elisha to succeed you as prophet.  Anyone who escapes death by Hazael will be killed by Jehu; anyone who escapes Jehu will be killed by Elisha.  Meanwhile, I'm preserving for myself  seven thousand souls; the knees that haven't bowed to the god baal, the mouths that haven't kissed his image."  I Kings 19:15-18

You see, God gave Elijah what he really needed in those three verses. God proved that He had truly listened to and understood what Elijah was saying.  First, He takes care of Elijah's fear of being marked for death by using the anointed Kings as protectors.  Secondly, He helps to ease Elijah's burden by sending him someone who will help him in his work.

But, at least for me today, the most important piece of the above scripture is where he reminds Elijah  about having compassion for the people.  You see, Elijah's statements were ones of disgust for what the people of Israel were doing/had done.  He had basically given up on them.  A " they made their bed, now let them lie in it" kind of attitude.  His compassion for them had been hardened.  God simply reminded Elijah that compassion was still needed, warranted, even.  That even though Elijah had given up on them, God hadn't.

It's a good reminder for me.  I'll still probably get annoyed at some of the crazy posts I see, or at the actions some people take.  But hopefully, I can temper that annoyance through the lenses of compassion.  Never once forgetting that God looks at me with eyes full of much needed, and underserved, mercy and grace.  And the reminder that though I may have given up on someone, God hasn't.

I'll end with a few photos from some of the amazing, peaceful cathedrals we were able to visit in Europe this summer.


Catedral La Seu, Barcelona, Spain

Museo dell'Opera del Duomo, Pisa, Italy
Basilica at Montserrat, Spain

Notre Dame de la Garde, Marseille, France

St. Peters, Vatican

Greek church in Mykonos, Greece

Cathedral, Dubrovnik, Croatia




No comments:

Post a Comment