Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 26, 2013

I lost my heart to the ocean

"I lost my heart to the ocean and with it a piece of my soul."

"The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in its net of wonder."  Jacques Coustea



North Shore, Oahu


*** I warn you, this blog is picture heavy because I am missing the ocean today ***
I love the ocean.  It is my happy place. The rhythm of the waves lapping against the shore.  The smell.  The breeze.  It all calms me.  Just sitting here thinking about it has slowed down my pulse and breathing.  I can feel myself relaxing.  I love the feeling I get when I'm out snorkeling and I can't hear anything but the sounds of the waves.  Sometimes you can hear the crackling sounds some of the shrimp make with their claws.  I've even heard the sound of dolphins  communicating to each other as they fed near the bay where I was snorkeling. Often, it just the peaceful sound of nothing but water.

"The ocean stirs the heart, inspires the imaginations, and brings eternal joy to the soul."

Three Tables, North Shore, Oahu

Maui

"Life is like the ocean, vast and unknown.  To discover what's out there, try taking a step in, and wading out into the water."

"There is another whole world just beneath the surface of a wave."

The ocean teaches me a lot about life. Here are just a few musings of what I have learned from the ocean.  And just so you know, Jeff took most of the underwater photos (I took a few).  I took most of the above water ones.

The minute I step into the ocean with my snorkel gear life starts to slow down.  In order to be comfortable, you've got to slow down your breathing.  You've got to relax your body and float.  In a way, you've got to trust that your body can float and won't just automatically sink.  
Me snorkeling in Tortola

Just like in life when you sometimes need to take a breath and trust  God.  You've got to trust that even though you might feel the waves,  He won't let you sink.  

I've learned through snorkeling to be calm and patient.  If you are out there flailing around, you will miss the beauty all around you.  The fish will hide.  If you are swimming too fast, you will fail to see the details.  Take time to stop and really look for the beauty around you.

Nudibranch, Sunset beach, Oahu

Christmas Tree Worms, Tortola

Queen Angelfish, Biscayne, Florida

Grand Cayman Reef


"I don't want to not live because of my fear of what could happen"  Laird Hamilton

"Make sure you worst enemy is not living between your own ears."  Laird hamilton

"Once you've made the decision, then you jump.  And you jump with faith."  by, you guessed it, Laird Hamilton


Surfers in Maui

My son and I watched the documentary about big wave surfing entitled "Riding Giants" the other night.  It follows some of the great big wave surfers like Greg Noll, Jeff Clark, Buzz Kerbox, Dave Kalama, Laird Hamilton and many more.  Now these guys are surfing down the 60 foot face of some of the biggest waves out there.  It's a little crazy what they do.  But, I learned something from them about living.  Sometimes in life we miss some of our greatest opportunities because we let fear overwhelm us.

I've learned to face some of my fears through my experiences in the water.  I'm a control freak, but you can't control the ocean.  So, I've had to decide whether or not I was going to let fear keep me from going out and doing something I really enjoyed.  I've even faced my fear of sharks by going into a cage out in the middle of the ocean surrounded by them.  



Galapagos Sharks, North Shore, Oahu

I fell in love and have now done it 3 times.  They really are amazing creatures!  Don't get me wrong, I have a healthy respect for them, just not the fear that I used to have.    

"You can't stop the waves but you can learn to surf."


Keagan and Jeff surfing North Shore, Oahu

There will always be waves in life, some bigger than others.  You can drown under those waves or you can decide to ride them out on top.  It may take you a little while to catch your balance, but if you learn to stand up, you will find that the waves are much easier to bear.  You might even have a little fun while surfing.


"Because there's nothing more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing the shoreline, no matter how many times it's sent away."

Virginia 

Blowhole, Maui

Cabo San Lucas

Along with learning to surf, you need perseverance.  There are times when you need to hold on with dogged determination.  Maybe you need to hold on to your marriage.  Maybe you need to hold onto your kids.  Maybe you just need the strength to hold on to your faith, even if it's with your fingernails.  Keep at it.  Don't stop. Just like the ocean, keep meeting the shoreline with firmness of purpose.

Friendship is important.

Castaway Cay, Bahama's

Tortola

St. Croix

Biscayne, Florida

Now, I wouldn't call  fish schooling together friendships per say, but they do help each other out.  You see, when they stick together, it makes it more confusing for the predator to single out one fish.  The same principle applies to life.  By gathering with friends it gives you strength to stand together against your enemy.  Friendships keep you from being out there all alone.  They provide encouragement, advice, and help to strengthen you.

"Life is like the ocean.  It can be calm and still or rough and rigid, but in the end it is always beautiful."

So, I leave you with some more photos of my favorite teacher, the ocean.  Hope your day is filled with peaceful ocean dreaming!

Sunset, North Shore

Stingrays, Grand Cayman

Spotted Eel, Maui

Sunset, North Shore, Oahu

Dolphins close to shore, Maui

Sea Turtle, Barbados

Antigua

Jeff and Keagan enjoying the water in St. Lucia

Me, following the trail to a secluded snorkeling spot in Maui

Sunset, North Shore, Oahu

St. Thomas

Tortola

Tortola

squid in Tortola


Sunset, North Shore, Oahu

crab in Puerto Rico

Keagan driving the catamaran in St. Martin

boxfish, St. Kitts

Keagan Paddleboarding at Three tables, Oahu

Humpback whales, Cabo San Lucas

Sailing in Antigua

St. Kitts

Biscayne, Florida

Snowflake Eel, Waimea Bay, Oahu

Sea Kayaking in Biscayne, Florida

Sunset Lanikai, Oahu

Biscayne, Florida

Eel, Waimea Bay, Oahu

Keagan paddleboarding in Lanikai, Oahu

Sea Turtle, Sunset Beach, Oahu


























































No comments:

Post a Comment