Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Focus on God's ability to care for you....

"It's not denial.  I'm just very selective about the reality I accept."

I have been having some interesting conversations of late within my many circles of friends.  During these conversations I have noticed two distinct viewpoints.  One viewpoint is that the world is spiraling desperately downward and there is no hope.  Another is that although there are big problems facing our world, there is also hope.  Any guess as to where I fall in this conversation?

"To be hopeful in bad times is not just foolishly romantic.  It is based on the fact that human history is a history not only of cruelty, but also of compassion, sacrifice, courage, and kindness."

You guessed it.  I fall into the second category of thinkers.  I think some of that is just a part of my nature, a part of who I am.  I tend to be a hopeful person.  Now, that doesn't mean I don't worry about things or issues.  It just means I don't let worry control me.  You see, I've read the end of the book (Bible) and I know how it all ends.  *Spoiler alert*  God wins.

I love the following scripture:

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not much more valuable than they?  Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?  And why do you worry about clothes?  See how the lilies of the field grow.  They do not labor or spin.  Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.  If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?  So do not worry saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?'  But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself."   Matthew 6:26-31, 33-34

Worry messes with your focus.  It redirects you.  Worrying focuses on yourself and your problems.  The scripture above clearly states where your focus should be.  Your focus should be on Him  - seek first his kingdom and his righteousness.  Worrying too much stops you from focusing on God.

I'm reminded of the story of when the Israelites, having escaped Egypt, sent the 12 spies into Canaan to scope out the land that God had promised them.  Ok, so let's ponder for a moment what God had already done up until this point.  He had provided them safe passage out of slavery.  I always find it interesting that not only did the Egyptians let them go, they let them take their gold and silver.  (Exodus 12:35-36) Then God used a cloud and pillar of fire to guide them in the wilderness so that they would not be lost.  God parted the sea... stop and think about that.... The SEA parted... and they escaped the Egyptian army.  God provided Manna, quail, and water for them in the desert!  God promised them that he would help them overtake many armies and that he would give them the promised land (Exodus 33:1-3). Time and time again, God had taken care of the nation of Israel.

So now we are at the point where God is going to give them what was promised.  And this is where we pick up the scripture:

"We went to the land to which you sent us and Oh!  It does flow with milk and honey!  Just look at this fruit!  The only thing is that the people who live there are fierce, their cities are huge and well fortified.  Worse yet, we saw descendants of the giant Anak, Amalekites are spread out in the Negev; Hittites, Jebusites, and Amorites hold the hill country; and the Canaanites are established on the Mediterranean Sea and along the Jordon."  Number 13:27-29  the message

The first part of those scriptures starts out well.  Basically, they are saying, yes, this land is exactly what God had said it was.  It's amazing!  And then comes the but.....  They were basically saying, I know that the land is amazing BUT there are a lot of things to worry about.  Giants.   Giants are worrisome.  And the people are fierce.  There are big obstacles in the way like big, fortified walls.  Worry, worry, worry..... Well, we all know what happened.  They ended up not going into the promised land at that time.  All because they chose to focus on what worried them.  You see, worry stole their focus (and for some, their promise).  Because they focused on all the bad stuff, they forgot the miracles that God had already done.  They forgot the promise that God had given them in Exodus 33.

"When trouble comes, focus on God's ability to care for you."  Charles Stanley

We can learn an important lesson from the Israelites history.  I know that there is a lot to worry about.  I know that there are "giants" out there today.  I know that  there are "obstacles"out there in our hill country.  I know that we can come into contact with some "fierce" enemies. But I also know  that God has a promised land for me.  If I stay focused on God-- the daily miracles He performs in my life, His promises that He has made, the love He has for me... He will direct me, protect me, and provide for me while I'm on the path set before me.

So, the challenge today is to not let worry become your focus.  Instead, focus on the promises of God, knowing that He is in control of all things.  Notice, I didn't say not to worry, because, if I'm honest, I have times where I am greatly worried.  But I can choose what I focus on.

I'll leave you today with a photo from the ruins of Ephesus.  There is no longer a great city here.  Just some ruins of a once thriving city from a long ago time.  As we walked around, this scene struck me.  It's a place where they have put some recovered sarcophaguses (minus bodies) in this sort of flat space.  They caught my eye, but so did all the wildflowers growing around them.  So, when you look at this photo you can focus on the symbols of death (sarcophaguses), or you can focus on the symbols of life (wildflowers).  Your focus is up to you.





No comments:

Post a Comment