Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

You are not forgotten

An old high school friend posted this quote today and it struck me:

"He who counts the stars and calls them by their name is in no danger of forgetting His own children. "  Spurgeon

Have you ever had a point in your life where you felt forgotten? Maybe by a friend, a loved one,  or maybe even by God?  It's a terrible feeling!  That feeling of utter loneliness.  Complete aloneness.

This brings to mind a scene in the Lord of the Rings series.  I'll try and paint the picture for you.  Frodo is the unlikely hero of this story.  He's a small hobbit, without much experience in life, who is tasked with the burden of saving the whole world by destroying the ring that is giving power to evil.     There is only one place that can destroy the ring, and it requires a treacherous and dangerous journey. He starts out with eight companions that are going to try and help him with this task.  One by one, his companions must leave him to complete his task without them.  All except his true friend Sam, who manages to stick by his side through thick and thin.  However, there becomes a point where Sam is not by his side. Frodo, in a fit of anger, has driven Sam away.  And this is where we pick up the story.  Frodo has been led into a dark cave.  He's by himself.  He can't see.  The feeling is one of fright, and utter aloneness. Although he doesn't know it, he is being stalked by a huge  man-eating spider.  He feels the danger, but none of his companions are around to help protect him.  He is facing down this danger completely by himself.

Sometimes, life can feel like that cave.  Dark, scary, and dangerous.  And you may feel like Frodo-completely alone, feeling inadequate, unprotected, and unprepared to face the problem in front of you.  Ever been there?

Well, if you are feeling like you are in that cave, I have some good news for you.  You are not forgotten.  You may be in a cave, but you are not alone in there.  And you are not defenseless.  How do I know this?  I've been there.  And I've learned that I'm not alone.  God has been and will continue to be with me through every step.  But don't just take my word for it.  Here's what it says in the Bible.

"Who marches this army of stars out each night, counts them off, calls each by name?  So magnificent!  So powerful-- and never overlooks a single one?  Why would you ever complain, O Jacob, or whine, Israel, saying God has lost track of me.  He does't care what happens to me.  Don't you know anything?  Haven't you been listening?  God doesn't come and go, God lasts.  He's creator of all you can see or imagine.  He doesn't get tired out, doesn't pause to catch His breath.  And He knows everything, inside and out. "  Isaiah 40:26-28  the message

" I've picked you. I haven't dropped you.  Don't panic, I'm with you.  There's no need to fear for I'm your God.  I'll give you strength.  I'll help you.  I'll hold you steady, keep a firm grip on you."  Isaiah 41:9-10  the message

Now, just a little more about Frodo and the cave.  Frodo, hearing noises and becoming even more afraid, suddenly remembers that he was given a container by Galadriel that contains the light of a star.  He remembers when she handed it to him she said, "I give you the light of Earendil, our most beloved star.  May it be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out."  

And so that is what I hope you get from these verses today.  If you find yourself in a dark cave, feeling all alone, remember these verses.  And I hope that they are a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out.

Speaking of lights, I'll leave you today with a couple of photos of the amazing lights in the the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul.  This building, now a museum, started out as a Byzantine Basilica and was later used as an imperial mosque.  The museum is now in the process of restoring the Byzantine church paintings on the walls that were painted over at one time.  It is a beautiful structure.  But I fell in love with the beautiful, large, stunning light fixtures while there.









No comments:

Post a Comment