Total Pageviews

Monday, December 30, 2013

Goodbye 2013, You've been good to me, Hello 2014

I can't believe that 2013 is almost over!  And what a year it has been.  A year ago, as I was contemplating the upcoming 2013 year, I decided that I was going to step out and try things that scared me a bit.  To step up out of my comfort zone, so to speak.  And, I think I mostly succeeded.

Now, some of the things I did were not what others would call "scary", but they were things that I normally wouldn't do.  Such as...

Start this blog.  I had quite a few people comment to me that I should write a blog.  I ignored the first few comments, laughing it off.  But, after a few more people said that to me, I decided to give it some thought.  A blog was certainly WAY out of my comfort zone.  I didn't feel like I could add anything more to what was already out there.  And a blog requires a certain openness and vulnerability that I was most definitely uncomfortable with.  I don't feel like I am particularly wise or knowledgeable.  And, the more I thought about it, the more uncomfortable I felt.  Then, a little thought started at the back of my pea sized brain-- it said,  "Remember your pledge for the year 2013?  Doesn't this fit perfectly?"  So, this blog was born.  I still don't feel like I am adding much value to the world with this blog, but I am doing it.  And, to my surprise, I am enjoying it.  Who knew?

I traveled to places that were a little beyond my comfort zone.  I went to countries where I didn't speak the language, I didn't know much about their customs, and maybe I was just a little concerned about being there.  One example was when we visited Turkey.  In fact, they were having protests in a part of Istanbul while we were there.  Jeff and I both discussed the wisdom of going into the country with our 15 year old.  In the end, I decided that I wasn't going to let fear of what might happen keep me from experiencing something new.  And what a fabulous experience it was!  Turkey is a wonderful country!  The people were amazing!  The food (which is important to me) was fabulous beyond description!  The landscape beautiful!  This will probably rank as one of my top life experiences.  And, I can't wait to go back!



There were other, smaller things that I did throughout the year.  Such as going out on a small catamaran with Jeff and Keagan as the "captains."  I love them both dearly, but I have a few issues with trusting them to not get me lost at sea or to not break the boat.  And, other than Jeff hitting me in the head with the sail once (he forgot to tell me he was moving the sail), we had a fabulous time!  Although I wouldn't say I conquered my completely unreasonable and non-sensical fear of people touching my eyeball, I did go and sit (mostly)  through an eye exam.  And my eyes are fine.  Which is good, because it may take me another 10 years to work up enough nerve to go back.  These are just some of the  silly little examples of what I did, but the whole process has helped me to  say no less often, and to say yes to new things, more often.  And, it's a process I intend to carry on through the rest of my life.

So now, I am looking at 2014.  And, as I've tried to come up with a goal or theme for the year, I decided to really pray about it.  Now, I would like to tell you that I had this flash of brilliant revelation. I didn't.  But, the words I felt drawn to are these:

Honor  -

"Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the first fruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overflowing and your barns will brim over with new wine."  Proverbs 3:9-10

"Honor your father and mother, so that you may life long in the land the Lord your God is giving you." Exodus 20:12

This year I will continue to honor God and those around me.  In fact, I will look for new and more ways to do so.

Gratefulness & Thanksgiving --

"I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart;  I will tell of all your wonders.  I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High."  Psalm 9:1-2 NLV

"I'm thanking you, God, from a full heart, I am writing the book on your wonders.  I'm whistling, laughing, and jumping for joy;  I'm singing your song, High God."  Psalm 9:1-2 The Message

"I will sing to the Lord, for he has been good to me."  Psalm 12:6

I will continue to be grateful and express my thanksgiving for all the goodness in my life.  In fact, as  a family we are doing a Good news Jar.  Every time something good happens to us this year, we are going to write it down on a piece of paper and put it in the jar.  At the end of the year, we will open up the jar and read them as a family.

Wisdom-

"For the Lord gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6

"Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you."  Proverbs 2:11

"A wise woman builds her house."  Proverbs 14:1

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;  in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.  Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil.  This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones."
                                                                                                                  Proverbs 3: 5-8

I will continue to pray for wisdom (those of you who have teenagers have a deep understanding of why I need to pray for a large amount of wisdom).  Wisdom in my family decisions, wisdom in my financial decisions, wisdom in my words and actions.  I will continue to seek opportunities to learn new things.

Compassion-

"Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act."  Proverbs 3:27

"Never walk away from someone who deserves help; your hand is God's hand for that person."
                                                                                                Proverbs 3:27 the Message

"A kind hearted woman gains respect."  Proverbs 11:16

"When you're kind to others, you help yourself."  Proverbs 11:17  the message

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger; the world of the stingy gets smaller and smaller. The one who blesses others is abundantly blessed; those who help others are helped."              
                                                                                                Proverbs 11:24-25  the message

"It's criminal to ignore a neighbor in need, but compassion for the poor--what a blessing!"
                                                                                                    Proverbs 14:21  the message

I will continue to look for opportunities to show compassion to others in whatever way I can.  God has blessed me so that I can bless others.  My challenge is to look through eyes of love, not judgement.

Peace & Happiness

"A heart at peace gives life to the body."  Proverbs 14: 30

"A happy heart makes the face cheerful."  Proverbs 15:13

"A twinkle in the eye means joy in the heart, and good news makes you feel fit as a fiddle."
                                                                                            Proverbs 15:30  the Message

"When a man's ways are pleasing to the Lord, he makes even his enemies live at peace with him."
                                                                                                           Proverbs 16:7

I will continue to seek peace in my life.  I will promote peace.  I will try to live each day joyfully and peacefully, fully amazed by God's goodness and grace in my life.  I will strive to live in peace with others.  And when worry starts to nip at my mind, I will focus on the fact that God has everything under control.  I will not take myself too seriously and I will remember to laugh at myself often ;)

And finally-- my favorite verse that I am claiming for the year 2014-- drumroll please.....

"Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed."  Proverbs 16:3


Can you tell that one of my favorite chapters in the Bible is Proverbs?  I really can't think of a better way to approach this new year than with the wisdom I find in these verses.  Now, I'm not going to say that I will always succeed, I will probably have gapping failures this year in every area.  I'm completely, and humiliatingly, human.  But, I am going to stumble, run, crawl and walk down this path to the best of my ability.  A little improvement is better than nothing right?  And, you can laugh at me, and with me, as I live my life as gracefully as I can.

So my wish for you for 2014 is that this new year is filled with honor, gratefulness, thanksgiving, wisdom, compassion, peace, and happiness.  My this be the best year yet!











No comments:

Post a Comment