Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Sitting at the Kids Table



Did you ever experience while growing up a large dinner party where there were two tables?  One table was the adult table and one table was for the kids.    Now, I don't know about you, but as a kid, I always longed to sit at the adult table because that was where all the action was.  That was where all the good pieces of information was shared.  That's where the laughter lived.  That's where all the good stories were told.  And, usually, that table was where all the food was kept, and I am a great lover of food.  As I got older, I remember the special times when I would be invited up to the adult table to eat, much to envy of my younger cohorts.  It was like being invited into some sort of elite secret society, where the air and conversation was just somehow richer, more full.   But, you couldn't just show up at the adult table, you had to be invited.

"He takes in sinners and eats meals with them, treating them like old friends."
Luke 15:2  the message

I ran across this scripture the other day.  In truth, that's just a part of that particular verse,  and I've probably read it a multitude of times.  But this time, this line jumped off the page and straight into my heart.  You see, this is a line that the religious leaders of the day were saying in an attempt to slander Jesus.  Jesus was breaking the rules, the policy for that day, about who gets to sit and eat at which table.  In a way, it was like Jesus coming to the adults table at a family gathering and kicking adults off the adult table and replacing them with the children.  Or it can be compared to  Jesus coming to the family gathering and instead of eating at the adult table, walking over and sitting down with the children at their table.  It was just not done.

And to make matters worse, Jesus was enjoying the company of these "people", those who the religious elite avoided contact with.  Those people who didn't follow the "adult" rules and regulations about table manners.  Those people who didn't eat the right types of food.  Those who didn't drink the right kind of beverage. Those people who were loud, and opinionated, and lacked the  etiquette required for proper dinning.

"Jesus cared far more about people than policy."  Nish Weiseth

"He came to the outskirts of Jericho.  A blind man was sitting beside the road asking for handouts.  When he heard the rustle of the crowd, he asked what was going on.  They told him, Jesus the Nazarene is going by.  He yelled,  Jesus!  Son of David!  Mercy, have mercy on me!  Those ahead of Jesus told the man to shut up, but he only yelled all the louder, Son of David!  Mercy, have mercy on me!  Jesus stopped and ordered him to be brought over."  Luke 18: 35-40 the message

This story in Luke 18 further highlights the nature of Jesus.  While the people in the crowd were judging the blind man as unworthy of Jesus' time and effort, Jesus himself deemed him as valuable and worthy of his time and effort.  This beggar.  This nobody.  This man who was shunned and marginalized by those around him.  This one man caused Jesus to stop.

I love these pictures of Jesus.  He was kind of a rebel.  He didn't let the religious rules and cultural norms get in the way of loving people.  In fact, he turned all of those regulations and cultural norms on their heads and dismissed them as unimportant.

I love this rebel Jesus.  Why?  Because this is the Jesus who has come to me and invited me to sit with him at the adult table.  Me.  The one who is lacking in the proper etiquette department.  The one who is messy.  The one who often knocks over my glass, spilling my drink all over the table.  The one who  sits there at the table smiling with a piece of lettuce stuck in my teeth.  The one who dribbles my soup down the front of my shirt.  The one who sometimes talks with her mouth full.  Me.  The one who is unworthy.  And, not only does he sit with me, he treats me like an old friend, sharing stories, laughter, joy, sorrow, and food.  I am the blind person crying out "Have mercy!" and He is the one stopping to bring healing to my life.

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels or demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."  Romans 8:38-39

I want my table to be like Jesus' table was.  Warm and welcoming to all.  This is my invitation to you join me at my table.  Just as you are. Don't believe the lie that your are not good enough to come.  Don't believe the lie that you are damaged goods.  Don't believe the lie that you are unworthy of  love.  Join me.  It will be an eclectic mix of different beliefs and walks of life.  Let's  share in spilled drinks, rich food, friendship, love, laughter, stories, joy and sorrow.  I am hoping that my table is one where Jesus stops by and joins in.

I am hoping and praying that not only will my table be filled, but  that your table be full as well. My challenge to you is to fill your tables up.  Don't allow there to be two tables in your life, one for the "adults/worthy people" and one for the "children/unworthy."  Be a rebel and make it one long table-- even if you have to put tables together, even if the table heights don't match, even if the tablecloths don't match.  Who cares?  Let your table be a welcome place for all.  Don't forget about the time in your life where you cried out "Have mercy!"  and Jesus stopped and called you forward to him and invited you to sit at His table.

And. most importantly,  don't forget to make room for Jesus at your table.



No comments:

Post a Comment