Total Pageviews

Monday, May 5, 2014

Appreciation

Appreciation.  Everyone wants to feel appreciated, to feel that what they do matters.  This week is a big week set aside for appreciation of some very important people.  This week is Nurse's week.  Having recently had surgery, I appreciate all the hard work that nurses do.  It is also Teacher appreciation week.  If you know me at all, you know that I'm a big fan of teachers!  A good teacher makes a huge difference in a students academic achievement.  And then this week finishes off with one of the biggest days set aside for appreciation, Mother's Day.  I appreciate not only my mom, but all mothers who are doing the important work of raising children!

I think it is good to set aside these days to honor those around us and everything they do to make our lives better.  I gladly participate in these events.  However, I want to aspire to something greater than just setting aside one day to honor those around me.  My goal in life is to truly see and honor those around me on a daily basis for what they do to make life better.  And I understand that this, at least for me, requires me to live in such a way that I am mindful of what is taking place around me.

For example, I know and understand that when I go out to eat, I am paying for the food and service.  And it is easy to slip into the thought that because I am paying for it, nothing more needs to be done or said.  But one of things that I truly love and appreciate about going out to eat is the fact that I can have a great meal that requires no effort of me.  I am allowed to sit back, be served, enjoy time with those at the table, and not worry about shopping for the food, preparing the food, serving the food, and clean up.  So, because I appreciate that others are doing those things for me, I try to make sure and say simple things like thank you to those who are serving our meal.  I want them to know that I value what they are doing.  And I find, that by showing my appreciation, my enjoyment of the moment is increased as well.

When I am focused on appreciation, I am more aware of the good that is happening in that moment.  It enhances my enjoyment of life. But what I truly love about appreciation is that when it is expressed verbally to others, it enhances their enjoyment of life as well.  It's a win-win.  Both parties involved gain something positive from a moment of expressed appreciation.

So, my challenge to myself, and to you, is to not only appreciate those around you, but to express your appreciation.  Make sure you let others know that what they do matters.  And if no one has told you lately-- let me say-- I appreciate you and everything you do!  What you do matters!

I'll leave you with a side note of saying thank you to everyone who has prayed for me during my surgery and recuperation!  To those who have brought food to my family, hauled my kiddo around, sent texts and messages and cards.  I appreciate you greatly!  What you have done for me matters!

Finally-- I'll leave you with  a few photos of Park Guell in Barcelona.   The Park was built by Antoni Gaudi.  The original plan had called for it to be a residential English-style garden city, with 60 houses set in formal gardens.  Gaudi worked on the project from 1900-1914.  It proved to be an economic disaster, and only three houses were completed.  You see, Gaudi's style was considered, well, weird.  People just didn't "get" him.  It wasn't linear.  It was wildly colorful.  His work was under-appreciated.

However, here's what we understand and know now.  He refused to change the topography of the land, working with the natural rises in elevation rather than leveling them off.  He refused to cut down the old trees that were already growing there, instead choosing to work around them, and even being inspired by them.  A lot of the mosaic tile work is recycled bits and pieces of broken tiles from a nearby tile factory (these pieces would have been thrown away).  Hidden away in the architecture are water catchment systems and underground water cisterns.  This cistern and rain catchment system is used to irrigate the parkland, since there are no other natural sources of water located there.




These columns are hollow in order to provide a channel for rain water to the cistern.






Deemed a failure in it's day,  and unappreciated, this eccentric hilltop park is now considered one of the city's treasures.  Thousands flock to this park to enjoy it's beauty and amazing views.  Isn't it amazing what a little appreciation can do?



No comments:

Post a Comment