Total Pageviews

Friday, October 18, 2013

God doesn't have a box

"Sometimes I think,  Wow God, that was outside the box.  Then I remember, God doesn't have a box."

I think it's just in our nature to try and label things.  To try and make everything fit into a category that make sense to us.  Some of this behavior may be traceable all the way back to Adam, when God brought the living creatures to be named by Adam (Genesis 2:19-20).  There's just something about us as human beings that wants to define everything and place it where it goes.

Some of us, like me, have an overactive need to define, categorize, and place items where they belong.  Case in point, my kitchen.  In my kitchen every drawer and shelf is labeled with the contents.  It should tell you where things are or where things should be placed.  I am the only person in my house who appreciates this.  And sometimes, I believe I am the only one who can read (I still love you Jeff & Keagan, even if you don't follow the labels).  :)  At times, I am a little (ok, honestly, a lot) irritated when I find things on the wrong shelf.  I know, it's a sickness.  Jeff drew the line in the sand when I tried to "organize" his garage.  He has no appreciation for labels and plastic bins.  It's sad, really.  And don't even get me started on clothing arrangements in closets (they must be arranged by color.  Then sorted within each color grouping according to type, i.e.  for shirts they start with sleeveless tanks, then sleeveless dress shirts, then sleeveless sweater shirts etc...)  The sheer beauty of this clothing organizational process is lost on the rest of my family members, despite my daily prayers that they adopt my organizational style.

And yes, I am laughing at myself (while I am simultaneously trying to figure out how to get Jeff to label and organize his garage in a manner that make sense).  Thank God he loves me anyway.

I know this is an extreme way of looking at things.  However, I find that people often apply the same kind of strategy when dealing with each other.  And, although this may work well for categorizing and organizing things like clothing, it is a dangerous method to adopt when dealing with people.

"A wise person knows that there is something to be learned from everyone."

"There are no rules for friendship."

"We often see hurting people as an interruption to our ministry rather than the purpose of our ministry."

"Nothing is easier than to denounce the evildoer; nothing is more difficult than to understand him."

When we categorize people, we put them in a box. A box with clearly defined sides.  The problem with that, is that people rarely fit into that box cleanly.  And a box doesn't allow for any difference or change. You see, if you change one line on a box, either by making it shorter or longer, you no longer have a box.  We box people up in may different ways, how they dress, what they drive, who they are friends with, their political affiliation, etc....

So, what's the problem with placing people in boxes?

Some boxes help us to feel morally justified in talking to people or about people in an uncaring and unloving manner.  We feel free to bash others over the head with verbal rocks because, in our eyes, we have the moral high ground.  There's no room in that box for understanding, or compassion, or forgiveness, or love.

Other boxes give us excuses to be lazy in our relationships with others.   It allows us to distance ourselves from others because of jealousy or insecurity. It absolves us of any responsibility to pursuit friendship, leaving all of the responsibility on someone else.  Unfortunately, when we place people in this box we miss out on opportunities to get to know someone who may teach us something new, who may stretch us, grow us, and challenge us.

"So often the things that we think disqualify us are the very things God uses to qualify us to do His will."

And here's the real problem with boxes.  God doesn't have a box. Don't believe me?  Read your Bible.

God used a beauty queen to save a nation:  Esther

God used an orphan:  Esther (she was raised by Mordecai, her uncle)

God used a young girl to help save the future leader of Israel:  Miriam

God used a woman as a great prophet for Israel:  Deborah

God used a fugitive to free Israel:  Moses

God used the son of a prostitute to deliver Israel:  Jephthah

God used a boy to save an army:  David

God used a murderer, an adulterer, and a liar:  David

God used a tax Collector:  Matthew

God used a fisherman: Peter

God used a prostitute:  Rahab

God used a "crazy", "radical" man: John the Baptist

God used a coward:  Gideon

God used the son of idol worshipers: Abraham

God used a man who had spent his life persecuting and killing Christians:  Paul (formally Saul)

God used a barren and doubting woman to multiply his people: Sarah

God used a "crazy" woman: Mary Magdalene

God used a wealthy woman to help support Jesus: Joanna

I could go on and on and on...

"Brokenness breaks us from our need to be right and breaks us open to our need to extend the grace we have been given."

Hmmmm.  I wonder how many of these people we would have put in a box labeled not useful.  You see boxes are so deadly because it keeps us from really looking at the person.  Instead, we look at the labeled box we put them in.  It allows us to dehumanize them in a way.  It encourages us to make assumptions that are often far from the truth.  Dear Lord, forgive me for the times I've labeled someone, put them in a box, and walked away.  For not seeing the pain, the need, the person.  For not showing love, compassion, and understanding.

I am grateful that God didn't look at me that way.

 So, my challenge to myself and to you this day is to stop trying to place others into boxes.  Instead, I pray that God will help me see others as He sees them.  Outside of the box.

I'll leave you with a few photos of some of the architecture of Antoni Gaudi in Barcelona.  He was definitely someone who thought "out of the box."







No comments:

Post a Comment