Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

What will your verse be?

I, like many others, am saddened today by the news that one of my favorite actors, Robin Williams has taken his own life.  When I was younger I remember watching him on the show Mork and Mindy.  I have followed his career and watched as he morphed from great comedian to amazing actor.  Most of his characters were thought provoking.

One of my favorite movies was Dead Poets Society.  This movie sparked in me a great love for poetry. One scene that I particularly like is where Robin Williams character, John Keating, quotes from one of Walt Whitman's poems.  Here is what  the character John Keating says in this scene:

"O me! O life!…of the questions of these recurring;  of the endless trains of the faithless….of cities filled with the foolish;  what good amid these, O me, O life?  Answer.  That you are here--that life exists, and identity;  that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse.  That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. "

And then, he delivers one of the most powerful lines in the movie, "What will your verse be?"

And that is my question to you and to myself today.  When all is said and done, what verse will you have contributed to the world's poem?  It's a good question to ask yourself.  I have no doubt that many of you will leave an amazing mark on this world.  I have friends who are doing some amazing research regarding cures for disease, working towards ending hunger, working towards finding cleaner and more environmentally ways to bring energy to this world, working to end poverty, rescuing children from harm, etc…..  All of these people just amaze me!  They are writing their "verse" in some amazing powerful ways.  But the reality of life is that not all of us are going to be able to do what those people are doing.  Does that mean you are not contributing a verse (or at least not contributing a line that will have any impact)?  Hmmmmm….

That lead me to thinking about what I would like my verse to be.  And, I'll admit right here that I am not a poet in any way, shape, or form.  My verse is not eloquently written.  It is not a verse that will even stand out in the face of the verses that others will contribute.  Still, I believe my verse will be important to someone.  Even maybe make an impact on someone.  And if my verse only impacts one person, it is still worth it to me to write and contribute my one line.  So here's the big reveal. I would like for my verse to be:

"Through (Yolanda) I experienced God's great love for me."

That's it.  Simple.  Yet complete.  I may yet add another line, my life is not over.  But if I do not, I am content with my one line.

The poem, A Psalm of Life, by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow says this in a more eloquent way.

Tell me not, in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
And things are not what they seem.

Life is real!  Life is earnest!
And the grave is not it's goal;
Dust thou art, to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul.

Not enjoyment, and not sorrow,
Is our destined end or way;
But to act, that each tomorrow
Find us farther than today.

Art is long, and Time is fleeting,
And our hearts, though stout and brave,
Still, like muffled drums, are beating
Funeral marches to the grave.

In the world's broad field of battle,
In the bivouac of life,
Be not like dumb, driven cattle!
Be a hero in the strife!

Trust no future, howe'er pleasant!
Let the dead past bury it's dead!
Act, -- act in the living present!
Heart within, and God o'erhead!

Lives of great men all remind us
We can make our lives sublime,
And, departing, leave behind us
Footprints on the sands of time;

Footprints, that perhaps another
Sailing o'er life's solemn main,
A forlorn and shipwrecked brother,
Seeing, shall take heart again.

Let us, then, be up and doing,
With a heart for any fate;
Still achieving, still pursuing,
Learn to labor and to wait.

So,  what will your verse be?  It's never to late to add more lines to your verse.  

I'll leave you with some recent photo's from Alaska taken from a helicopter.  What a beautiful place!    Have a great day!







No comments:

Post a Comment