Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Be Brave....

 "The new year means nothing if you're still in love with your comfort zone."

"Nothing changes if nothing changes."  Eric Thomas

About 3 or 4 years ago, I made a decision to begin to say yes more to things that scare me, things that make me a little uncomfortable, things that may make me change or learn something new.  I did it as a type of New Years resolution.  This one year resolution has now turned into a life habit-- one that has enhanced my life greatly, in many ways.  And don't get me wrong, I still weigh the pro's and cons, but I take a good look at the "why" part of my reluctance.  Am I reluctant to try this new thing because of a risk?  Is it a real risk, or just an excuse because I am scared to try, or I'm feeling insecure, or it may mean that I have to change (even if that change is for the better).

"I literally have to remind myself all the time, that being afraid of things going wrong isn't the way to make things go right."

"You don't have to have it all figured out to move forward."

"Normality is a paved road:  It's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it."  Van Gogh

"You will not experience all life has to offer you or begin to experience life at it's fullest as long as you are satisfied with mediocrity."  Eric Thomas

"Don't live the same year 75 times and call it a life."  Robin Sharma

This willingness to stand at the edge of the cliff and at least peak over the edge to see what lies beyond has brought a richness to my life that I greatly value.  Because I have been willing to force myself to step out of my comfort zone, I have discovered new passions.  I have traveled to places and experienced things that have added knowledge, understanding, and joy to my life.  I have formed rich and deep friendships with people who challenge me in good ways.  I have found more compassion.  I have found miracles that I might have previously overlooked.  I have found deep faith.  I have expanded my life more than I thought was possible.  There is a fulness to a life that pushes past my comfort zone.

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you."

And yet, even knowing all of this, I still find myself reluctant to say yes.  Hesitant to say yes to challenge, to change, to growth.  And the root of all this is fear.  Fear of what lies beyond the edge.  Fear of what this change might mean for me.  Fear of looking too deeply into myself.  Fear of what others may think or feel.  Fear of what may happen.  But I am learning to practice using my "brave muscle."  With each new yes, that muscle grows stronger.  And I am finding that what I fear most is missing out on great opportunity because I am simply afraid of trying something new.

"Never be afraid to try something new, because life gets boring when you stay within the limits of what you already know."

And the more I flex that "brave muscle" the more discontent I grow with living an average life.  I hope that I learn something new every day until the day I die.  I want to live a full life.  I want to fill my life with new experiences.  I want to continue to shift and change into the full potential of what God created me for (or as close as I can get to that potential while still on earth).  And I want my son to learn this lesson at a younger age than I did.  I want to teach him how to live life bravely, fully, and with anticipation of doing what God wants him to do.  And I want to teach him to not fear what God has in store for him.  Instead, to embrace it and lean into it, knowing that there is something there for him.  Something that will make his life richer in ways he doesn't fully comprehend yet.

So today, I want to encourage you to live life bravely.  To not be content with average.  To push your boundaries.  To face challenge and change with the knowledge that you do not face it alone.  Pray for wisdom to make good decisions.  Say yes to what God is offering to you, even if it is scary.  Even if it feels like you are being stretched beyond what is comfortable.  I want you to be brave!

"Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified;  do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."  Joshua 1:9

"Be strong and courageous.  Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you;  he will never leave you."  Deuteronomy 31:6

I'll leave you with a few photos of the ocean.  The ocean is an interesting thing.  It inspires many different feelings in people.  Some people fear it.  Some people fear what it contains, what lives in it.  And some people, dip their toes in it to experience it in a perceived "safe" way.  And that may be fine for some.  But to me, the best part of the ocean is what lies beneath the surface.  And there's only one way to experience that-- you have to fully immerse yourself in it.  Only then, by taking the risk, can you see all the beauty and wonder it contains.











No comments:

Post a Comment